What is Advocacy?
Educate, Engage, Empower
Throughout BioOhio’s 34-year history, the organization has worked with local, state, and federal agencies, officials, and representatives to promote Ohio’s bioscience industry,?BioOhio members, and the health and prosperity of Ohio.
BioOhio serves as the Ohio affiliate of national industry groups Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed), Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO), Medical Device and Manufacturing Association (MDMA), and Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).
The Purpose of Advocacy, Government Relations, and Public Policy
Public officials make decisions every day about funding, regulations, and policy initiatives that have a substantial impact on Ohio’s bioscience industry. Legislators rely on the engagement of industry leaders and constituents for on-the-ground, real-time understanding of the industry. Effective engagement and dialogue with legislative officials can:
- Educate elected officials – most are not industry experts and value constituent guidance
- Influence regulations within executive agencies
- Shape legislative process and policies – industry has the unique experiences and job-creating power that makes bioscience issues a top priority
- Impact polling and media coverage to ensure support from champions of constituents’ causes
- Empower constituents to forge partnerships across the bioscience business community
Why Constituents Matter
Some of the strongest guiding forces behind state and federal policy are the collective positions within a lawmaker’s local community. Individual voices matter because they have the power to influence representatives in the following ways:
- Increase their credibility with the community
- Employ other constituents
- Help with fundraising and re-election efforts
- Secure local media coverage to highlight activities in their district
- Mark the district and the state of Ohio as nationwide leaders in advancements within the bioscience field
Constituents can engage with state and federal legislators, communicate with them on issues that impact their company or institution, deliver fact-based information, and be part of the process to effect change.